Release Notes for CRUX 2.8
This page discusses the relevant changes introduced in CRUX 2.8. Everybody upgrading from the
previous release is advised to carefully read the following notes.
CRUX 2.8 includes glibc 2.16.0, gcc 4.7.2 and binutils 2.22
CRUX 2.8 ships with Xorg 7.7 and xorg-server 1.13.0.
The ISO image is processed with isohybrid and is suitable for burning on a CD and putting on a USB drive.
Important libraries have been updated to new major versions which are not ABI compatible with the old versions. We strongly advise against manually updating to CRUX 2.8 via ports, since these changes will temporarily break the system.
- libmpc has been updated to version 1.0.1, required by gcc
- openssl has been updated to version 1.0.1, required by many packages (most noticeable: wget, which in turn is called by pkgmk to download sources)
- libpcre has been updated to 8.31, required by many packages e.g. grep
- gdbm has been updated to version 1.10
- db has been updated to version 5.3
- libtiff has been updated to version 4
- libpng has been updated to version 1.5
- the oldest kernel supported by glibc is 2.6.39 now
- util-linux-ng has been renamed to util-linux
- module-init-tools has been replaced by kmod
- time zone data has been removed from glibc and is now provided by a new port: core/tzdata
- some deprecated video drivers have been removed from xorg (radeonhd, i128, mach64, tdfx, voodoo)
- libGlu is no longer part of mesa but is provided by a new port: xorg/glu
- some parts of xcb-util have been split into xcb-util-image, xcb-util-keysyms, xcb-util-render and xcb-util-wm